The Power of Laughter
“Reality is the leading cause of stress
among those in touch with it.” Lily Tomlin
When living with psoriasis, the reality is that it’s a chronic condition that comes with moments of pain and discomfort. For some, a flare can also be stressful. We’ve seen a lot of folks who have found laughter to be a powerful natural medicine and a useful coping mechanism.
Cracking a joke is proven to be good for the mind AND body. Laughter can be a powerful healer for things like the everyday blues to the most chronic conditions, like psoriasis. Living with this condition is no joke, but even a little bit of laughter can go a long way for your long-term health. According to the Mayo Clinic, laughter can:
- Improve your immune system. Positive thoughts release natural chemicals that help fight stress and serious illnesses.
- Relieve pain. Letting out a laugh releases endorphins, a natural pain reliever.
- Boost your mood. With chronic illness often comes depression; laughter can help lift spirits and make you feel happier.
- Activate and relieve your stress response. Positive thoughts release natural chemicals that help fight stress and serious illnesses.
- Increase personal satisfaction. Laughter can make it easier to cope with everyday situations that may be awkward or uncomfortable.
We believe in the power of laughter, and you agree! During the 2017 National Psoriasis Foundation National Volunteer conference, we asked patients, supporters, and healthcare professionals about how humor can be a natural healer: 95% of those surveyed think humor can make living with psoriasis a little more bearable.
What’s a good way to catch a case of the giggles? Try spending time with the people who make you laugh and bring you joy. Look for those everyday moments that create opportunities for laughter, like watching your favorite funny TV show or hit the bowling alley with your friends. While psoriasis is no laughing matter, it’s okay to let loose! Embrace your own imperfections and laugh whenever you can.