Finding the Funny
Managing stress and finding ways to laugh can be challenging when living with psoriasis. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to de-stress and find the funny – and we’re here to help!
April is both National Humor Month and National Stress Awareness Month, two different awareness initiatives with one shared goal: helping people find happiness in everyday life. Like two peas in a pod, they make a perfect team. And what’s more – humor can also be an effective tool to help cope with stress. Doctors and nurses are even “prescribing” humor and laughter, and the Mayo Clinic has recommended laughter for stress relief. 1
In the spirit of these awareness months, here are some Dos and Don’ts to help you navigate life’s ups and downs with a smile:
- Do smile and offer to sign an autograph for the next person who stares at your skin.
- Don’t talk politics with your crazy uncle Herb. It’s a flare-up waiting to happen.
- Do create a text with your eyes closed and see what you end up with, after spellcheck.
- Don’t be shy about reaching out to others. Speak up if you need help.
- Do learn how to say “it’s not contagious” in a foreign language and test it out overseas.
- Don’t Procrastinate. Putting things off can cause a snowball effect on your worrying.
- Do see if you can build a mini fort out of all your moisturizer bottles, just for fun.
- Don’t allow a situation to get the best of you. Take a few long, deep breaths and reboot.
- Do go out and dance so intensely that flakes fall to your feet.
- Don’t say “yes” to everyone. Taking on too much can be a big source of stress.
Finally, check out our new psoriasis Humor Tools for more tips on how to choose and use humor, and making humor a part of your daily life.
- Mayo Clinic. Stress Management: Stress Relief from Laughter? It’s No Joke. Accessed April 2019.